Sunday 20 October 2013

Is it worth or is it just wasting my time?

Vinyl's background
I am not sure whether what I did this evening worth the time I spend or just wasting my time. Yes, I kept complaining while doing it so that Cody fed up with me. But I really felt I was wasting my time putting something that's not even well-themed with our game in Vinyl. Total it took me more than two hours from figuring out how to implement the MovieTexture in Unity3D, download QuickTime and install, convert the movie files (I doubt this is also part of engineer's job), wait for Unity to import those >13MB videos and finally put everything back to server.


OK. Even though I may not have any artistic sense, I knew that this background is not satisfying. It's boring. Not even related to music. When I see the background of music game, I will assume that the background will have something to do with music. But this is not the case in these backgrounds! Each of the background is just a repetitive animation.

Also, to meet the background visual on jumping, I have to make the background plane super big. The result is those concentric animation will look like a meteor shower. The animation that played on the middle of the screen looks black all the time unless I jump to see higher of the background.

Another issue I saw is the black - idle - frame is way too long. The transition of one movie to another movie is not smooth at all! Each two of the movies has their own theme. When they played together - especially when randomly played, one can immediately tell that it's a playlist of individual movies.

Yes, I complained a lot but this is the reality that I felt when I was implementing this background. The background, for sure, needs to be improved a lot. It can be 6 or hundreds individual movies but they should be well themed - importantly match to what kind of game Vinyl is. And they should be to transit smoothly one to another without long black screen!


No comments:

Post a Comment