Friday 18 July 2014

End of school, start of new journey to the real world

Yeah, I have been missing for a long time. It was tiring months on the end of Vinyl but we finally published it in Desura. This is the link: http://www.desura.com/games/vinyl. Our game was also selected as one of E3 College Game finalist. Yay!!! (Thanks to my persistent decision to submit our game to E3 ;P and of course our team's hard work).

Now after a wedding (yup, I got married in the end of graduate school) and two months vacation, relocating to Los Gatos (my husband got a job in Los Gatos) plus a month being full time house wife, I am ready to be a software engineering again. There is not much game industry in Los Gatos. Actually it's only one: Cryptic - the company my husband works. I personally didn't think it's a good idea for us to work in the same company. He, in the other hand, really want me to work in the same company. Well, the problem is I was already turned down by them. I am sorry, my dear husband. Well, I am indeed a good programmer but I am always bad with technical interview. My husband agreed that I am better at concrete problem which requires a lot of concentration than abstract thinking. He also pointed out that my strong point was my dedication and concentration to the task I had at hand. I was also a fast learner.

So, now I get back to the job hunting. I had applied to two other game companies around Los Gatos and now I am looking at other companies outside of game industry. While looking for an opening job in Silicon Valley, specifically Los Gatos, I found these link:
  1. http://robertheaton.com/2014/03/07/lessons-from-a-silicon-valley-job-search/. This link is super great. It gave me a lot of knowledge about finding a job here in Silicon Valley.
  2. https://sites.google.com/site/steveyegge2/five-essential-phone-screen-questions. This site gave me a better insight of what the technical interview was for. Yes, I used to be one of those programmer who despise and thought that technical interview is dumb. But this article opened my eyes. Now I understood why they ask these question that has nothing to do with my daily duties in the job.
Anyways, today I had finished drafting my generic cover letter for non-game company and finished my resume. All I had to do now is wrote a specific cover letter/resume for those companies in Los Gatos that I am interested in. Meanwhile, I need to start coding. I felt my programming skill has become rusty. Later, if I work in non-game industry, I will keep continue game programming on my spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment