Thursday 7 November 2013

I tamed PD - I hope~~~

Since we published our first installer in our website, we got random feedback mentioning that they couldn't install our game. We had tested our game in several computer in lab and all works well. Could it be because of different computer hardware? Highly probable.

To help us debugging it, we got the Apple computer from the IT guys in South Lab and worked on it. After working for a while, it becomes clear to me that the problem is PD! To be exact, PD is really slow in the first time launching after restart or power on. And in our setup, we run PD with a batch file and close the batch file after a few milliseconds. The number I picked was the number based on the time it takes for PD to launch 100% on the computers available around me. Of course this is not true in every case. In several computers, it took longer for PD to launch. Thus this hard-coded timeout is not working for us! But... if we didn't kill the batch file, it will always run in the background. What should I do??

Well, if exit timeout is not working, then I somehow need to make the batch file close itself after running. I found the solution online: start the line with start ""! This command will let the program to start and close the batch window after it finished launching.

I am super happy that I fixed this major bug and I am happy, too, that I finally had the time to minimize the PD into a third of the original size =D

No comments:

Post a Comment